Posted by Tom
So. You just got LittleBigPlanet. Maybe you were one of the hundreds of thousands of people opening up the game on Christmas Day, or perhaps it was a birthday present, or gift from a persuasive friend.
Either way, one thing is clear: You’re a noob. And you probably have noob questions. So, the Planetoid is here to give you some answers to those common questions that are tormenting your mind, helping you to get on your feet and running around. Let’s get started.
• Profile won’t load and the game quits to XMB with no message. Other profiles load and the affected profile can be loaded as another player, just not the main player
Your pod had a user sticker in it that didn’t save properly. We have found a fix for this, and your profile can be recovered by the Edam patch, but pod decoration will be reset. (From LittleBigWorkshop).
• My scores for Play, Create and Share all say ‘0’. Why?
The Play, Create and Share scores have been turned off since late beta due to network issues. They will be reactivated ‘soon’.
• Do I need to buy the Level Kit to get the Platinum Trophy?
Premium Level Kits (such as the Metal Gear Solid one) come with additional trophies. However, they do not affect the regular LittleBigPlanet trophies, they are additional. You can earn your Platinum trophy without any additional purchases.
• I just bought a Level Kit and I can’t find it! Help!
Level Kits with additional levels, appear on the LittleBigPlanet, within the LittleBigStore section. The LittleBigStore shows all the content you have purchased for the game. Purchased level kits appear and are accessible from here. For instance the Metal Gear Solid pack.
• Help! I can’t download the latest patch!
Sometimes your network connection can be at fault here. One thing that is worth trying, is disabling your media server connection if you have one. In your PlayStation 3’x XMB, go to Settings > Network connections and choose Media Server Connection and make sure it is not enabled.
• You get a “Failed to load level” message on a level on your moon, even if you’re offline.
This issue occurs most frequently when an emitter that was emitting a user created object didn’t save properly. We have found a fix for this, your level can be recovered by the Yarg patch, albeit with the emitters with lost objects reset. There is a workaround if you have an old saved game or published version of the level that has the lost object in it. (From LittleBigWorkshop).
• If you publish the old version of the level from your old save, then copy it to your affected profile, that lost object will be recovered and can then be found by your level so it will load.
These issues and the workaround are detailed in this thread. (From LittleBigWorkshop).
• Profile becomes corrupted in such a way that placing an object in an emitter in any level crashes the game.
This is fixed in the Edam patch, and it will recover affected profiles. There is no known workaround apart from starting a new profile. Described in this thread. (From LittleBigWorkshop).
• When the servers are busy, undo and redo in create mode can become very slow
This is fixed in the Edam patch.A workaround is to sign out of PSN while in create mode. PS Button > Playstation Network > Account Management > Triangle > Sign Out. (From LittleBigWorkshop).
• How can I make the level change from day to night whilst playing?
This can’t be done by any built in option. Though you can try to do it yourself, using lights and the built in atmosphere effects. There is a method that PSN user reinheart made though, and you can see his technique in his demo level.
• How can I easily hang things in the air, without having to build ceilings for everything?
There is a special material called ‘dark matter’, it’s in your pop-its material page, under ‘basic materials’. Dark matter is not affected by gravity or physics like other materials. If you place Dark Matter somewhere, it cannot be moved in any way, so it is very useful for hanging things from or placing small pieces of it inside other materials to make them stay still.
• I’m building a level and I think I’m going to publish it soon, is there anything I should know?
You should definitely read Media Molecules guide to publishing your level.
• Can I copy someone else’s level and use it as the basis for one of mine?
When a level is published, its creator can choose if they want other people to be able to copy it or not. To copy a level, press square once the levels patch is selected on the Little Big Planet, options will appear and *if* the level is copyable, you will be able to copy the level to your My Moon.
• How can I place a sticker on another Sackboy or someone else’s Pod?
You can only place stickers on friends or in friends Pods. You might also need to ask them nicely to keep still
• I keep getting a message telling me my profile is full when collecting stickers, why?
Your pop-it menu has a limit on the number of community items it can hold. Community items are items that other players have made and placed in their community levels. By removing some of these stickers and objects, you can free up space in your pop-it. Keep an eye on what community items you pick up and manage these items in your pop-it. There is no limit on ‘official items’, such as objects and stickers which you collect in the story modes or have downloaded in DLC - they are free of these limits.
• How can I take a photo of my Sackboy in the game?
Open your pop-it menu and choose stickers. If you look at the top of the menu, there are two options. One of these options is to take a photo. Select the icons and a tool tip will appear, click on the one that says ‘take a photo’. Then the photo tool will load, allowing you to take a photo in the game. Once you have taken a photo it will appear in your pop-it menu, under stickers and in the ‘My Pictures’ section.
• How do I upload a photo to my level?
Find the photo you want to upload by browsing ‘My Pictures’ in your pop-it menus sticker section and then press the square button. This will bring up a menu of extra options, including an upload option.
Once you upload you photo, it will appear online for other players to see in the level information for the location in which you took that photo, this can take 10-20 minutes to appear online however.
• How can I export the photos in the game to my PC?
Open the sticker section in your pop-it menu, browse to any sticker you wish to export and click square. If you are allowed to export that sticker, then an option will appear saying ‘Export to HDD’. Once you click that, your photo will be copied on to your PlayStation 3’s XMB menu, under Photos.
• I just published my level but I can’t find it on the planet, where is it?
There are thousand and thousands of community levels in the LittleBigPlanet community. So firstly - don’t expect your level to appear on the first page in the community levels section. Use R1 and L1 to navigate between the different pages. Your level may appear on pages further down, or you may have to search for it. Remember that different people will see your level based on different search parameters that they may be using.
We’ll continue to update this FAQ over time.